The increasingly popular Kenilworth Summer Tournament got underway last night, with Ari Minkov taking 2 games & the early lead. Last year's winner Greg Tomkovich, 2005 KST champ Mark Kernighan & Juan Huaman also got off to good starts.
I played poorly against Michael Goeller & was lucky to score a half-point. KCCC Under 1400 Champ Joe Renna, meanwhile, was held to a draw by Dmitri Yanpolsky. (spelling??)
A total of 15 players have already entered &, chances are, last year's record of 22 will be surpassed. For those who would like to join, here are the rules :
1. Entry Fee is $5.00
2. The tournament will run from June 7 through August 30.
3. The time control is G/60
4. You may play anyone in the tournament. The first time you play an opponent, the lower-rated player gets White. In subsequent games against the same opponent, you will alternate colors.
5. You may not play the same opponent more than four times.
6. You get one point for a win, a half-point for a draw and zero for a loss.
7.You may play as many or as few games as you like. The more you play, the more points you can accumulate. Maximum 2 games per night.
8. The winner is the person who has the most points at the end of the tournament.
9. The prizes will be 60% for first place, 30% for second and 10% for third (rounded to the nearest dollar).
10. Email results to Tournament Director Greg Tomkovich
I'll try to get a few more games for you this weekend. For now, here's the "Battle of the Bloggers" in Java-Replay & PGN plus the week 1 standings.